Bethany College student motivated to help others

Anna Alexis

Anna Alexis

Making the world a better place is a childhood dream and Bethany junior Adrianna “Anna” Alexis is making her dreams a reality. Alexis has started a non-profit agency geared toward helping schools and churches in Africa.

Alexis, Brighton, Colo., spent part of her summer in Ghana working with churches and schools. During her first week at Bethany, she was inspired by motivational speaker Bill Cordes. His speech encouraged Alexis to do the things she wanted to do and a trip to Africa was on her wish list. “My first dream was to speak with high school aged students. Bill (Cordes) helped me achieve that dream at the Hawaii Leadership Academy. Then, I wanted to go to Africa. Support from my professors at Bethany made the biggest difference in that dream becoming a reality,” Alexis said.

During her trip, Alexis decided to start a non-profit agency, AnnaING, determined to help the people she met in Africa. The mission for AnnaINg is to “educate, inspire and challenge individuals no matter their circumstance, to reach for truth and equality as they lead lives of continuous learning, service and aspire to become all they can be as they seek their place in the world.”

“I embraced the culture. I bonded with the students and members of the church.” Alexis said. She has already raised $1,000 for basic school supplies to take with her during her next two trips to Ghana in 2010.

With no plans to slow down, active is a common term in Alexis’ vocabulary. On the Bethany campus, she is a member of the volleyball team and serves as a student ambassador. “I believe that you should be doing and going rather than sitting back and watching,” she said. Along with her individual trip in January, Alexis plans to return to Africa again in March with a group of nearly 20 helpers.

More information about Alexis and her work can be found online at www.annaing.org.

Calendar All Events

October