Naming Ceremony for Nelson Science Center to be held

LINDSBORG, KAN., October 3, 2011—Bethany College will hold a naming ceremony for the Nelson Science Center additions on October 8 at 11:30 a.m. in Nelson. The chemistry lab will be named for Dr. Chuck “Doc” Englund, retired professor of chemistry, and the lobby will be named for Rev. George and Luella Eller, lifetime supporters of Bethany. Construction in Nelson began in 2008 to increase the number of laboratories in the building from three to six and to renovate the east face of the building.

Englund retired from Bethany in the 2008-2009 academic year after having taught since 1968. He has been awarded the Greg and Beth Pierce Award for service at Bethany, the Bethany College Mortvedt Award for Teaching Excellence and Campus Leadership, and the Mentor Award from the University of Kansas School of Medicine-Wichita.

To name the lab after Englund, Dr. Tim Rankin, a 1987 graduate, pledged the lead gift and challenged friends to raise the remaining funds. In a letter to alumni, Rankin wrote, “I found out I was more than prepared because, my Bethany College education put me ahead of many in my class. The success I found in medical school and in my medical practice is, in part, due to Dr. Englund… I hope you are excited about this chance to give back a small part to recognize a professor who gave so much to us.”

The Eller Lobby was funded by the family of Rev. George and Luella Eller. George Eller was the Central States Synod representative on the Bethany College Board of Directors from 1962 to 1970, and he and Luella were longtime supporters of Bethany. Their son, Dr. Gordon Eller, a 1964 graduate, his wife, Ann, and his sisters, Joann, Janet, and Ruth, are proud to name the lobby in honor of their parents. Dr. Eller continues his support of Bethany and has recently donated trees, shrubs, and plants for campus landscaping.

Bethany College, established by Swedish Lutheran immigrants in 1881, is a college of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. The mission of Bethany College is to educate, develop and challenge individuals to reach for truth and excellence as they lead lives of faith, learning and service. Bethany College is on the Web at www.bethanylb.edu/.

News All News