Bethany College vice presidents seek new opportunities

Jim RubleWith gratitude for their service to the college, Bethany College has accepted the resignations of Jim Ruble, vice president for advancement, and Bob Schmoll, vice president of finance and operations.

“We appreciate the leadership and expertise both Jim and Bob brought to Bethany. As senior cabinet members, they have made valuable contributions that helped establish our 20-year ‘Engage the Future’ goals,” said President Edward F. Leonard III. “We continue our path forward to ensure the success of our current students and those that will follow. In concert with the board of directors, I will announce interim and long-term planning in early August.”

Ruble and Schmoll both expressed appreciation for their time at Bethany. Ruble came to the college in fall 2010 with more than 30 years of experience in the banking industry, including First National Bank of Hutchinson and First Bank Kansas in McPherson. Ruble is a 1981 Bethany graduate and has been active in the community as a member of alumni council and the Bethany Oratorio Society. As vice president for advancement at Bethany, Ruble led all capital campaigns and worked to progress the college’s mission through fundraising and relationship development.

Ruble will return to banking at UMB Salina as senior vice president, senior commercial banker. “I am very proud of what has been accomplished at Bethany in the last several years, and I’m glad I have been able to be a part of it,” said Ruble. “I anticipate continued growth at Bethany, but I could not pass up this opportunity at another organization I feel compelled to join in an industry I know well.”

Schmoll came to Bethany in summer 2009 from Dana College, where he served as executive vice president and chief financial officer. His more than 25 years of experience in higher education administration proved invaluable as he filled the position of vice president for finance and operations that was created during a strategic reorganization of the Bethany’s senior leadership in December 2008. His duties included oversight of financial affairs and campus operations, preparing the college’s annual budget, managing endowment funds, and coordinating legal and auditing services.

Schmoll will now serve as vice president for finance and management at Thiel College in Greenville, Pa., a sister ELCA college. “I was not actively seeking a new position, but this became available and presented a new opportunity in my work,” said Schmoll. “I have known the Thiel president for many years and look forward to working with him again in a larger institution and in a new geographic region.”

Leonard said,“We lament saying goodbye to these two cabinet members but wish them the best in their new endeavors. The community looks forward to welcoming their successors to Bethany and to continuing work on Bethany Pathway and ‘Engage the Future.’”

Bethany College, established by Swedish Lutheran immigrants in 1881, is a college of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. The mission of Bethany College is to educate, develop and challenge individuals to reach for truth and excellence as they lead lives of faith, learning and service. Bethany College is on the Web at www.bethanylb.edu/.

Contact

News All News