Featured Faculty Friday – David Slack

David Slack 5
May 10, 2013
Dr. David Slack
Associate Professor of Health, Physical Education, and Athletic Training

Getting to know you…
What is your favorite sandwich?
It’s a good BLT, especially with home-grown tomatoes.
What is your family like?
Pam and I have four children, all grown but not totally “out of the nest.” Our son Eric lives in Washington DC; he’s a taxation attorney for the IRS while his wife is an ER Nurse and Clinical Instructor in the School of Nursing at George Washington Med Center. Charlie is their son (3 years-old). Jamie comes next, she’s our “celebrity.” She is a nighttime radio host (DJ) for 94.5 Country in Topeka. Each morning she also co-hosts a radio program on WIBW AM Radio called “Kansas Live with Roger and Jamie.” She is single and we love having her still live with us. Taran comes next. She is a stay at home Mom and has two beautiful little girls, Finley (3 years) and Olivia (1 year). She and her husband Casey live in Topeka also. Taran is a medical technician and does do some part-time work at a local Ear, Nose, and Throat Office. Last comes Alex, she’s our baby. She also lives at home with Pam and I while she is attending a Nursing program offered through Neosho Community College.
What is your favorite hobby?
I’m a sports official. I work high school football in the fall and Basketball during the winter months. It keeps me busy. I also plan a garden and enjoy working in the yard.
What is your favorite joke?
My kids always tease me about this . . . why did the golfer wear two pair of pants??? . . . in case he gets a hole in one (ha, ha)
Do you still have your tonsils?
I’m 99% sure that I do
Would you bungee jump?
If the conditions were good, I would.
What is your favorite cereal?
Usually one of the Chex cereals but always with sliced banana, strawberry or fresh peaches.
Do you untie your shoes when you take them off?
Always.
If you were a crayon, what color would you be?
Blue
Mountain hideaway or beach house?
Well, Pam and I were born and raised in Utah so I have seen some pretty majestic places. We also lived in Hawaii for six years and lived across the street from the beach (and we took advantage of our proximity frequently).
What is your favorite sport or television show to watch?
College Football and Basketball; I also will watch Bonanza or MASH anytime I can
Do you have a special talent?
I enjoy singing in the church choir
Where were you born?
Born in Cedar City (Southern Utah) but grew up most of my life in the Salt Lake Valley (Northern Utah).
What is one thing you wish everybody knew about you?
I am a very religious person. I strive to read and reflect upon the scriptures each day. I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I served a mission for the church in Argentina when I was 19 years-old. When I returned I married my high school sweetheart Pam in the Salt Lake LDS Temple. We have been happily married for 35 years.

Getting to know your program…
What is your academic area?
Health, Physical Education and Athletic Training
What is your favorite course to teach?
I love to teach Nutrition because the information is so valuable to staying healthy.
What is the most rewarding part of your job?
To see an immature Freshman student that I put on an academic course of study actually walk across the stage and graduate. We had five athletic training students last Spring and several other students in physical education (teacher ed) and physical health and wellness make it all the way. This is awesome!
What is the worst part of your job?
Having some students come to class without purchasing a book, or not reading the material in order to be a part of their own learning.
If you could describe your teaching style in one word, what would it be?
Cooperative
What three things would you want all students to know or do?
1) Don’t come to class thinking that I am going to give all that I know to you. 2) Develop questions about the subject matter and use the library to gather greater insight to share with others. 3) Envision yourself as a person who will take what you have learned and will learn out into the world and serve others.
What makes your academic area important?
Athletes and active people (what we should all be) suffer injuries or have other unique issues they face. An athletic trainer or physical educator enjoys activities and has a depth of understanding to guide people through these challenging times. I have the best job on campus because I teach about information that helps people stay injury-free and healthy.

News All News