335 East Swensson Street | Lindsborg, Kansas 67456|admissions@bethanylb.edu

Bethany rises in top college rankings

Earning the highest spot for a Kansas college in its category, Bethany College has been ranked as 30th in the Midwest region of U.S. News and World Report’s 2010 “Best Baccalaureate Colleges”.

A rise from last year’s 37th-place rank, which itself was a significant increase, this also marks the third straight year that Bethany has been classified in the top tier of the Midwest region.

“The annual ranking gives us a solid measure of the improvements we’ve made and what areas still require attention,” said Dean of Recruitment and Marketing Tricia Hawk. “But students who visit Bethany know that we are more than a ranking. Students choose Bethany because of the variety of paths they can choose and because they know Bethany will help them achieve their goals,” she said. “The ranking is a way of telling our story to those who may not know it already.”

“While this ranking provides Bethany an occasion to celebrate, the college rankings system is also a way for us to review the quality of opportunities available at Bethany in comparison to the offerings of our peers,” said Bethany College President Edward F. Leonard III.

Since about 75% of a school’s ranking is based on indicators of academic quality, with the other 25% based on peer assessment, “Bethany’s continued high ranking validates our institution as both academically strong and highly respected in the Midwest region,” he said.

Bethany also had high rankings in several key indicators in its category, including:

  • 4th in “Proportion of Classes Under 20”
  • 6th in “Campus Ethnic Diversity”
  • 9th in “Average Amount of Need-Based Aid Awarded”
  • 10th in “International Students”

Bethany was ranked slightly above Tabor College, Hillsboro, Kan., at 43rd and Dana College, Blair, Neb., at 45th.

Dana is a sister college of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. Other Lutheran colleges ranked in the Midwest region included Augustana College (third) and Carthage College (11th).The baccalaureate colleges category includes schools that focus on undergraduate education and grant fewer than 50 percent of their degrees in liberal arts disciplines. The baccalaureate colleges are divided into four regions.

The ratings appeared in the “America’s Best Colleges” report by U.S. News and World Report. The magazine annually evaluates accredited four-year schools. For more information, visit www.usnews.com/colleges.

September 11th, 2009|