Rev. Noni Strand during her time at Bethany College.

Bringing together spirituality and sustainability is something many at Bethany College are familiar with through the work of former Campus Pastor Naomi (Noni) Strand. And, now Rev. Strand has written a book that brings those two ideals together and celebrates her time at Bethany.

The book, “Rooted and Grounded in Love: Devotions for Growing Couples,” is the result of Rev. Strand’s 30 years in ministry, 23 of which were spent counseling young couples for marriage and working with students while pastoring at Bethany College. She wrote the book because she could never find just the right one for her pre-marital counseling sessions and decided to write her own.

“I started on it after leaving Bethany and it came from performing lots of weddings for students. During the counseling sessions I was always looking for a devotional book that we could use. I never could find one,” she said.

Two events are planned to help launch her new book. She will be in Salina at the Connected Fair Trade store on Friday, October 14 from 5 to 7 p.m. and in Lindsborg at Connected on Thursday, October 20 from 5 to 7 p.m. She will be making brief comments at each event at 5:45 p.m.

A grant from the Salina Arts and Humanities Foundation and support from friends and family helped create and publish book. However, her experiences at Bethany were the inspiration for her writing.

“I learned so much from my time at Bethany and I hope that the book captures the depths of what Bethany means to me,” Rev. Strand said. “I was inspired by the couples I worked with, but informed by the students. I hope the book can be helpful to couples and their relationships.”

Rev. Strand, who is a 1982 graduate of Bethany College, was assisted during the writing of her book from other Bethany alumni and friends. Aubrey Streit Krug, a 2006 graduate, and Eugene Bales, a former Professor of Philosophy and Dean of the College, served as editors.

After leaving Bethany in 2014, Rev. Strand has continued her ministry as chaplain at the Salina Regional Health Center. Her book is currently available on Amazon.