yuda2Bethany College junior Kristen Hanks from Wakeeney, Kansas, is using her Servant Leadership final project to address a global issue that will help another student receive an education.

Hanks, a secondary math education major and servant leadership minor, is working with Yuda Bands to raise funds to help fund a scholarship for a student in Zimbabwe. Yuda Bands was founded in 2008 in Guatemala to help end extreme poverty. Yuda is derived from the Spanish word for help and the bands are made in Guatemala following fair trade practices. The bands not only fund the work of the artists who make them but also scholarships that enable children in third world countries to attend school.

“I worked with the project in high school and wanted to continue it here at Bethany,” Hanks said.

Minoring in Servant Leadership at Bethany has been an important part of Hanks’ education and given her an opportunity to participate in many service projects including one last year that helped collect food for a local food bank.

“I felt compelled to join the Servant Leadership minor because I saw myself as a leader and wanted to develop that even more,” she said. “Through my experiences I have learned that I have a heart for service to others and Bethany has given me opportunities to do that.”

Hanks hopes to sell 175 of the bracelets, which will sponsor a year in school for the student she is sponsoring. She is selling them outside of the Caf on October 11-13 and will be at the Alumni information table during Homecoming to share information about her project.