New this year, soloists were selected to perform solos during Palm Sunday “Messiah” Sing-Along. Soloists were chosen from audio and video submissions.
Twelve soloists were named for this honor, including:
- Grant Stucky, tenor, “Comfort Ye My People”;
- Josh Tackett, bass, “Thus Saith the Lord”;
- Heather Baldwin, alto, “But Who May Abide the Day of His Coming”;
- Lisa Gerstenkorn, alto, “Behold, A Virgin Shall Conceive,” “O Thou That Tellest Good Tidings,” “He Shall Feed His Flock Like a Shepherd”;
- Ashley Wolf, soprano, “There Were Shepherds Abiding in the Field,” “And Lo, The Angel of the Lord Came Upon Them,” “And the Angel Said Unto Them,” “And Suddenly There Was With the Angel”;
- Karol Carr, alto, “Then Shall the Eyes”;
- Staci Horton, alto, “Come Unto Him”;
- Aaron Hawley, tenor, “They Rebuke Hath Broken His Heart,” “Behold, See if There Be Any Sorrow”;
- Jim Ruble, tenor, “He Was Cut Off Out of the Land of the Living,” “But Thou Didst Not Leave His Soul in Hell”;
- Annika Stucky, soprano, “How Beautiful are the Feet”;
- Ryan Holmquist, bass, “Why do the Nations”;
- Julianne Davis, soprano, “I Know That My Redeemer Liveth.”
The festival’s featured concerts will open Palm Sunday weekend with the “Messiah” Sing-Along, at 3 p.m. Tickets for the public are $10 and scores are available at the door for an additional $10.
The Messiah Festival of the Arts began Monday, March 19 with the opening of the Messiah Juried Art Exhibit at Mingenback Art Gallery. The Messiah Festival presents various art, music and speaking events through April 1. The festival’s other featured concerts are Bach’s “The Passion According to St. Matthew” which will be performed at 7:30 p.m. on Good Friday, March 30 and “Messiah” performed at 3 p.m. on Easter Sunday. Palm Sunday and Easter performances are in Presser Hall Auditorium. The Good Friday performance is in Bethany Lutheran Church, 320 N. Main Street, Lindsborg.
Tickets for the concerts can be purchased online at www.messiahfestival.org or by calling Bethany’s Messiah Coordinator at (785) 227-3380, ext. 8235.
Every year since 1882, the Bethany Oratorio Society has presented Messiah at the college. The society has performed Messiah across the plains, in Carnegie Hall, and on national television. For a full listing of special events and exhibits during the Messiah Festival of the Arts, visit www.messiahfestival.org.